Saturday, September 6, 2008

Jared's LOTOJA





LOTOJA 2008 (6th September,2008)


Jared pulling into the "feed station" in Montpelier after
about seventy-five miles from Logan and over Emigration/
Strawberry Summit. Close to on schedule about four
hours of riding.

After a quick refresher and a moment in the porta john
it's off toward Afton, Wyoming for the next leg of the ride.
He seemed to be doing great.
Shana, Jared's support vehicle driver. I doubt many
of the riders had their own personal physician. Thanks,
Shana for supporting him on this ride. He has worked
so hard to do it. Fortunately the day has been nearly
perfect, about 70 degrees, sunny, and almost no wind.
We will now have the privilege of having Emily, Malissa,
and Sam for the rest of the day and most of tomorrow.
Good Luck to Jared and all the other riders. I admire
anyone with the courage and determination even to
undertake such a feat, and if you can finish 206 miles
over three major passes in one day all in daylight hours,
my hat is off to you. That is no easy task.

To quote William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
when he and his party first came in view of the mighty
Pacific Ocean after nearly two years treking across the
continent more than 200 years ago: "Oh the Joy". This,
I'm sure, was Jared'ssentiment when he crossed the
LOTOJA finish line at Teton Village in Jackson Hole
yesterday. Congratulations! You trained hard and you did
what you set out to do. We are very proud of you. Keep on
rolling!!!! You are an inspiration to us all.



No, that is not Jared, just a LOTOJA pic I found on the
net. At first, I actually thought it was him, but Jared had
already been there for more than ten minutes when this
dude crossed the finish line. Way to go Jared!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

Wahoo! Jared is doing awesome! I can't believe it- he's worked so hard and he will be so glad when he crosses the final line. What an accomplishment! Way to go Jared!

Philip said...

Way to go bro. I am proud of you. I am sure it was nice to see mom and dad at the rest station. Maybe someday I'll whip my sorry butt into shape.
Good Job
Philip

Jason said...

Wish I was with you Jared. Maybe next year. It takes a lot of training to get ready for a thing like this. I know your ready for it.

see you next week,

Jason

Jason said...

Jared is a stud! Way to go. I am sure I will never get my sorry butt into shape to do LOTOJA.

Great job Jared, you are a good example to us on setting and accomplishing personal goals.

~Rene

Bart said...

He takes after me, HA HA!, I could
never have done what he did. That's
dedication!!! Way to go. Dad and I were glad to see you on your journey and cheer you on. Your cute
kids were really good while they
were here, glad we could help.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

It's just a bike race, folks.

I know it took a lot of training and work to get there, but it's no bigger accomplishment than the marathons Jason and Megan ran. I could never do that.

As for the race itself, it was fun to ride it. Other than about 20 miles of the stretch from Afton to Alpine, I enjoyed almost all of the race. I was feeling a little fatigued after Afton but got my second wind (luckily it was in my back) up the Snake River Gorge and had a good ride.

If I sign up for another one, I'll try to push it a little harder. This time I mostly tried to be comfortable while still quick. I didn't want to flame out in Geneva and have to call the Wahhhhmbulance.

Now that I have one in the books, I know I'm capable of more. So I'll shoot for 11 hours flat next time -- if there is a next time.

If Jason, Philip or anyone else wants to sign up (maybe as a relay) I'll be happy to sign up to and wait for you at the end!

But thanks for all the kind words. But I somehow feel the admiration is a little overblown. ;)

Bart said...

Not so, And if you remember when Megan and Jason did their marathons they got some real praise from lots of people as well. Maybe it's just me. I've ridden a bike on what I thought was a "long ride", 50 to 90 miles in a day several times. So I can kind of relate to what you went through a little bit. If I had to run 26 miles I'd die. At least on a bike I could coast down hill. Running it's work both up and down. I admire anyone who will even consider training for a marathon or a long distance bike race/ride. One thing about it though, it does a body, well maybe a heart good. We're proud of all of you run, ride, swim, sail, walk, sit in front of the TV, like me. We love you all and always will. Actually, I think even in my advanced years I could do a marathon in 11 and half hours if I really pushed it.