Wednesday, May 6, 2009

If I Could Hie To Kolob

Starting on Saturday Iris and I took a little vacation.
We went down to St. George and Southern Utah for
a few days. We wanted a little change of pace, some
sunshine, and I wanted to go for a hike. Iris volunteered
to go with me, so I picked a nice, scenic trail, which I thought
we could both handle. It was about six miles round trip
and not too steep, though we did have climb over a few
rocks and cross the creek umpteen times. I was worried
that it might be to hot, but it was just right, in the low
seventies. We took our time and I took pictures as we
enjoyed the magnificent scenery. The trail we hiked
was called the Middle Fork of Taylor Creek in the
Kolob Canyon section of Zion National Park. Here are
a few of the things we saw. Neither words nor pictures
can do it justice, but at least maybe you will get a feel
for the beauties of the area.

This is the middle section of the Double Arch Alcove at the
end of the trail.

This is the upper section of the area at Double Arch Alcove.
It was impossible to get it all in one picture. The cliff must
be 1500 feet high.

The colorful, water stained area inside the Alcove at the
base of the Double Arch.
Here we stand in the cool, damp area directly beneath
Double Arch Alcove. We didn't do too bad for a couple of
senior citizens. There was water dripping of the cliff just
above us. I thought I would like to see it from that point
after a heavy rain storm. There would be a 200 foot
waterfall to compliment the already present
beauties of this especially beautiful place.
This a a partial view of the Double Arch Alcove (Middle
Section).
And this was the best part of the entire trip.
She did not know what she was getting into
when she married me, but I appreciate her
and love her very much. We both count our
blessings to be able to do what we did and
see what we saw. It is not hard to stand in
awe at the creations of our Heavenly Father.

2 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

Beautiful. I love the colors from the minerals and water on the rocks. I am glad you had a great time and that you were safe. Love you both.

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

That is very impressive! You go Seniors...life is too short lay around and not do anything.

Glad you had a good trip.