Monday, May 17, 2010

Deciscions, Decsions!!

It's that time of year.  It's been almost two months since I brought those first two hanging baskets of pansies from Lowe's home.  I had vsions of early botanical beauty, but suffered from no grand elusions about how well they would do that early in the year.  I hung them up in front of our house and the neighbors thought I was nuts.  Maybe I was.  They got snowed on a few times and were subjected to many nights of below freezing weather.  Panisies are a hardy lot and I enjoyed them regardless of what the neighbors thought.  Siince then the days have grown longer and the sun has a little more power and so I ventured out to Fonnesbek's greenhouse in Mendon today to see what I might find to make our little cottage and yard look pretty for the summer.  They have so many beautiful and thrifty plants it is hard to decide which ones will be best.  How will they look right away?  How will they withstand additional frosty nights:?  What colors should I get?  How many of each color?  What varieties will be best for our soil conditions?  How will they look in hanging baskets?  How much care are they going to require? How will Iris like them? What kind of plants grow and bloom best in the shade?  What kind of plants do best in full sun?  How much sun and shade areas do I have?  What is the weather going to be like when I transplant them and right after?  How much are they going to cost?  Are they worth it? etc. etc.

Anyway I was able to make some choices and came home for a day of beautifying the earth, at least our little bit of it.  I enjoyed my work and am pleased with the results, though I'm sure they will be much better in a few weeks.  I hope you all can come and see our little corner of the world this summer.

One of the greenhouses at Fonnesbeck's.

Just a small beginning to our little spring  time beautification project.  I guess I really am a flower child.

2 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

I thought that it looked beautiful already. It will be even better in a few weeks. You always have a talent when it comes to making any yard beautiful. I planted some of mine too! I hope the freeze stays away!

Bart said...

Dad didn't show the back of our
little yard, he has worked hard and
it looks beautiful, even the neighbors thought so. He's a good
man, love him lots.


Mom