Sunday, October 17, 2010

Outdoors with the Boys

When I was younger and we were trying to raise our own family one of the things I wanted to do was to take them camping and teach them how to fish and to shoot a gun.  Most of them really looked forward to these outings together, and I, as their father, especially enjoyed seeing the boys learn to do some of the things I had learned to enjoy as a youngster growing up in the Bear Lake Valley myself.  Ryan had been planning this trip for sometime, possibly to Yellowstone, but at least somewhere in the mountains during their fall break from school.  Kind of at the last minute it was decided to just go up in the mountains above Liberty where I had spent so much time when I was younger and where my own boys had made some memories of hunting, fishing and camping over the years.  On Thursday we met at Camp Bartlett and camped over night, fishing and then shooting some at the rifle range.  We had a dutch oven dinner and enjoyed our time together, laughing at ourselves and spinning some yarns.  Those attending were Justin, Jason, Philip, Ryan, me and Tanner, Avery, Garrett, Gavin, and Libbie.  Libbie and Gavin went home with their dad on Friday night.  The rest of us stayed over and enjoyed some good bonding time together.  Avery pretty well summed up our feelings when he said:  "This was the best camping trip ever."  Needless to say we all had a great time sharing a couple of beautiful fall days with each other in the out of doors.  Below are a few of the pictures I took to remind us of our adventures.
Philip getting ready to show the boys how to fish.  Somehow, the getting ready part is not all that interesting to the boys.

 Avery with Philip's family pet, Pixie.  Dosen't every boy want a dog?
Avery and Pixie.  We were glad Pixie got to come along.  It was her first time in the mountains too, and she loved it.

Every boy has to learn and I have yet to meet the one who didn't perform this little operation early on in their journey to becoming a fisherman.

All that effort does pay off eventually as can be attested to by this nice rainbow trout caught by Justin,  not to speak of the big smile landing one like this brings to a fisherman's face.  It's funny what a picture can do to the ability of a fisherman to tell the truth.

Three of my boys enjoying a beautiful autumn afternoon on the lake in their float tubes.

It wasn't entirely a boy thing.  Everyone would have been welcome, of course.  Libbie came with her dad and we were all glad to have her.  Here she is ready to learn how to shoot a gun.  At least she's got her head gear on so as not to damage those sensitive little ear drums.

The boys will each get their turns as well.  Here are Garrett, Gavin, and Avery ready to start firing away.

Avery and Gavin getting some excellent instructions from Uncle Jason.

Garrett learning how it works and most of all to be very careful.
Gavin getting ready to hit the target with the 22.

It didn't take Gavin long to graduate from the 22 to the 12 guage.  I only whish I had had the video rolling when he pulled the trigger. Funny!!!!

The only thing I can think of that might beat being a father is being a grandfather.
Lastly, let me thank Ryan for helping me to "get my priorities straight".  Time with my family is the most precious of all the gifts I have.  I look forward to an eternity with you all.




5 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

Thanks for taking Avery. He will always remember it. He really did have a lot of fun. As for your priorities, they are straight. You do everything and anything for your family.. We are all luck y to have you. I am a bit jealous as you know that you and the boys have much in common. I don't blame you all or wish differently. It is a great blessing and You are so fortunate. I need to find that for myself. I admire who you all are and love you all more than life.

Thanks again for loving my sweet Avery. It was so nice for you to include him.

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

Thanks dad and all.... it was a great Fall get-a-way.

Love,
Jason

meegz said...

I'm glad that our family got to go -- thanks to Ryan for heading it up -- our kids are still talking about the great time they had!!

meegz said...

..and Grandpa, i meant every word the other weekend about time spent with Grandpas(and Grandmas) being far more precious than any store bought gift our children could ever receive. Thanks for taking the time off to spend with them....they now have precious memories of fun with Grandpa Bart at Camp Bartlett.** Libbie is just sure they named the camp after you!:)

You are wonderful.

Candice Eborn said...

I had fun!


NOT!!!!!!!

Wish I was there.

Maybe next time.