Monday, January 25, 2010

Enjoying January

January has never been my favorite month.  The anticipation and joy of the Christmas season has in many ways come to an end.  The temperatures tend to drop beyond the bearable and now that we live in Cache Valley we have become familiar with a new term "Red Air Day", which means if your sickly or elderly you're not supposed to breath as much or as deeply.  Now that is taking it a bit far for a country boy from Bear Lake Valley, so when my brother Reed called and asked if we would be interested in going with them to Hawaii for a couple of weeks, we just couldn't resist.  We returned home on Saturday January 23rd after a wonderful time in Hawaii, mostly on the Island of Kauai.  It was simply beautiful and the weather was marvelous, mostly in the seventies.  A big thanks to Reed and Lorraine for showing us around and allowing us to spend time with them!!!  As you can imagine, I took a few pictures and will share just a small glimpse of what we were able to see and do.

A trip to Hawaii wouldn't be complete without a visit to Waikiki Beach.


And yes, Iris finally got me into a pair of shorts.  Needless to say I got my legs sunburned.
That is not something people catch me doing regularly.

We went to the Laie Hawaii Temple, but it was closed, beautiful and a special spiritual feeling, nonetheless.

We stayed very near the ocean and could see it from our deck and hear the waves crashing all night.
I am continually amazed at the power and beauty of God's creations.


We took a hike along the Napali Coast on the western side of Kauai.  One picture doesn't begin to describe the beauty of this area, but you'll get the idea.


And of course the best part of the entire trip, and of my life, was spending some relaxed time with my sweetheart.  We saw some beautiful flowers in Hawaii, but I will always be partial to my own, one-of -a-kind Iris.  We kind of took a liking to one of the Island's specialties, Hawaiian Shave Ice.  We didn't get the recipe, but I think it's simple enough that we might be able to indulge ourselves on occasion, even now that we are back home.  The vacation was wonderful, but we are glad to be back home among family and friends and are anxiously awaiting our work at the Logan Temple which will open, after some remodeling, tomorrow, January 26th.

3 comments:

meegz said...

I'm so glad you guys had the chance to go explore and enjoy the sunshine.:)
Glad you're home safe.

Alison Daugs said...

Love the pictures, especially the one along your hike with the tree in the foreground. That may another winner.
We are glad you are home and look forward to the "slideshow".

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

Looks like a wonderful trip. Those pictures look wonderful! I hope to make it there someday.