Saturday, January 2, 2010

End of an Era

Last week we were in Montpelier, our home of thirty-six years, where we signed the papers officially finalizing the sale of our home there.  We knew it would take a while, but we weren't expecting the economy to go quite as far south as it did in the months after we decided to move to Cache Valley and Logan.  I went up again today and gathered up the few things we still had remaining up there. There wasn't much.  I shoveled the snow off the driveway one last time, turned on the water heater, and filled the woodbox with wood.  Memories flooded my mind and the sounds of little ones laughing and crying came almost audibly to my conciousness. The warmth of the woodburning stove has been missed now for the past two winters.  All the sweat and flat tires seem at his point only very distant memories, but the warmth of the flame and the family gathered around on bitter cold nights will never be forgotten.  The smell of Mom's homemade bread was for the entire family a real treat, one among many things Mom did, which made it possible to raise seven kids on one teacher's salary and part time work doing whatever I could.  We had many good times, and some not so good, which when we look at them in hindsight were probably for our good as well.  We had good friends and neighbors, many ooportunities to serve in the Chruch and community, and kids, who were active and involved in all sorts of activities.  We tried to raise our children with an understanding of the gospel and the role it should play in our lives and to have good friends with similar values.  I will always appreciate
our children's friends and their parents, the church leaders and teachers and many others who influenced all of our lives while we lived in the Bear Lake Valley.  For me they started nearly seventy years ago.  For Mom about forty years ago, and for each of our children as they came into our family and began to grow and develop into the wonderful people they are today.  As I left the valley today, January 3, 2010.  I could not help but feel how deeply that little speck of earth and the good people who live and have lived there influenced what I have become.  I hope it is not something they regret.  It is, for me, something for which no words can completely express my gratitude.  Bear Lake is known for its long, cold winters.  One thing for which I am especially greatful, is that my Sweetheart Iris, a Georgia girl, never complained.  Over the years she became a Bear Laker too and knew almost everyone in the valley and their genealogy as well, much better than I did.  I remember one time at schoool I was talking to one of my students after class, and he asked me who my wife was.  I told him and that she worked at Modern Drug.  He responded:  "Oh, I know her, she is the nicest person in this whole valley".  I had to agree.  The whole valley is a better place because she lived there and there are many people who wouldn't argue the point.  As I left this afternoon and drove out across the valley the clouds were showing some rather beautiful formations along the western mountains.  After a few minutes I came to the Liberty Ward church.  Without the good people who guided and taught me there I shudder to think what I might have become.  As I dove up Emigration Canyon it was snowing and the roads were rather slick and slushy.  I reminisced about the thousands of time's we travelled that road in all kinds of weather.  We were involved in a couple of accidnets, fender benders and a slide off, but no one was hurt and in retrospect we just learned to slow down and mostly stay off the roads when they were unsafe.  I passed a snowplow and heartfelt thanks filled me for those who make our lives a little easier and help keep us connected to each other.  I could write a book, but I'm probably stretching it right now.
Move or not, "Once a Bear Laker, always a Bear Laker".


Cloud formations along the west side of Bear Lake Valley


My old home ward church building in Liberty, Idaho


Snowy Canyon Roads near the summit of Emigration Canyon

3 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

Did you take a picture of the house one more time. I will be forever grateful for being raise in Montpelier. I often thnk that I should just go back. I still to this day haven't made and established the friendships that I had there. I miss that. There are some of the best people there. Thank you for raising us there and heating our home with not only a roaring fire, but with love and the spirit. I love you sooooo much and I hope that you know of your importance and how much we all appreciate all you have done.

Atleast two of my best Bear Lake Friends now live in Logan.

Bart said...

Alison,
I didn't take a picture as I left, just as I drove across the valley on the way home. I've got tons of pictures of the home. Most importantly, we are now reside close to some of our family and the temple, and we will make new friends.

We love you all so very much.

Dad

Tennison and Camille said...

I'm liking the book idea...