Saturday, October 17, 2009

In the Half Light of the Canyon

"But when I am alone in the half light of the canyon all existence seems to fade into a being with my soul and memory and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rythym and the hopes that a fish will rise.  Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it.  The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.  On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops.  Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." Norman McClain from A River Runs Through It


The words I have quoted are some of my favorites from all of literature.  Over the years these words have come to have  a profound meaning in my life. I have come to see much deeper meanings than a mere fishing expedition on the river in the evening. 

I am greatful for these quiet moments on various rivers and lakes with a fishing rod in my hand  or my hiking stick and time to contemplate the real meanings of life and to commune with my Creator and those who have gone before.  I am awed by the wonders of nature and the beauties of the Earth and His eternal plan for us and all of His creation.


I would like each of you to read and reread these words and see if you can feel and understand some of the words, which lie under the rocks.  It may take time and it will definitely require being in the right frame of mind, but the reward will add a necessary dimension to your being.  I spent Friday along the banks of the Bear River at the Oneida Narrows contemplating these very words.  It has been a very revealing and emotional time for me, as it was my last full day with my own River Runs Through It. He has now gone to Doggie Heaven and I hope someday to see him again and spend time watching the clear waters run of over the pebbles and rocks and the clouds, and the trees, and mountains reflecting, in the calmer stretches of a river, as we contemplate our blessings and try to understand the words under the rocks again on some future day.

I Love you all!!!!

3 comments:

meegz said...

I know I don't have the right words to say -- but know you two are in our hearts at this time.
Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Alison Daugs said...

You are always so deep in thought. I appreciate your love of gods creations. We truley are blessed to enjoy all that we do. I hope your loss this week will become easier over time. We love you and always want you to be happy.

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

'Under the rocks are words..and some of the words are theirs"... is one of my favorite quotes also.

From one tender heart to another, I love you (both) and loved River.

It is amazing, how if you let your heart open... get past the silly things... you can grow to love so much.

I personally feel like the river of my life is in a rapid section, and I can't slow it down. I want to, I want to grab a branch or tree and keep my children little and our lives the way they are... but, you are so right the river does run ...

Thanks for a post to help me with perspective.