Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sun, Smoke, and Spirit

For the past three nights I have anticipated  a beautiful sunset here in Cache Valley.  I checked the time for the sunset and each evening went out in great anticipation of catching a special "just right" sort of picture.  There has been a hazy smoke in the air for the last several days as a result of the several wildfires that have been burning in surrounding areas.  Smoky skies make for beautiful sunsets, at least some times.  On Sunday evening I was disappointed  because there were light clouds on the western horizon.  Monday evening found my out again, camera in hand, only to be similarly disappointed by a thin layer of clouds just above the mountains in the western sky.  Tonight I was a little more certain of a good picture.  About an hour and half before sunset the sun turned to a brilliant red and it didn't appear that clouds would be a problem this time around, so I took my camera and went to my designated spot, hoping for a perfect picture.  This time it wasn't the clouds that caused me a problem but the smoke was almost as thick as the clouds had been on the previous nights, especially just above the horizon. but not quite.  Hope springs eternal and so I continued to hope for the best.  It didn't turn out just like I wanted it to, but I did get a few interesting, though not spectacular pictures. Sun, Smoke, and Spirit.  I am not done with this little project, but thought some of these photos had a little merit.  Below are a couple of examples.
Logan Temple, Cache Valley, and the western mountains in a smoky haze at sunset August 14, 2012
Old Sol
Another shot similar to the first.  A little disappointing but beautiful in its  own way.
A smoke filled Cache Valley in the setting sun August 14, 2012
Panorama of smoke filled Cache Valley with the sun setting in the west august 15, 2012
"And the Moon shall be turned to blood."  How about the Sun too?
Sunset Moods and the Logan Temple
Sunset in the sultry glebe of evening over Cache Valley, Utah August 15, 2012

When in the sultry glebe I faint,
Or on the thirsty mountain pant,
To fertile vales and dewy meads
My weary, wand’ring steps he leads,
Where peaceful rivers, soft and slow,
Amid the cooling verdant landscape flow

2 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

PRETTY COOL!!! ( So are you!)

Alison Daugs said...

Love the last one! You are talented!