Friday, August 10, 2012

LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT

Today when I went out  to go up to the Temple for our evening assignment I found something on the door step.  I'm not sure who left it there and maybe that is just as well, It could have been any of our good neighbors or perhaps family or friends.  We are blessed to have an abundance of all of them.  It was a simple garden gift, four ears corn, but it was much more than that.  It was a symbol of caring and sharing.  It was a  symbol of thoughtfulness.  It was a symbol of gratitude for living in a country where we have enough and to spare.  It was a reminder that each of us has something to give, a smile, phone call,  a note, or card in the mail, a wave, or a hand shake, perhaps something we have made or baked.  There are so many things we all could give.
These things cost nothing or very little and bring us far greater rewards than anything we may have sacrificed.  The world would be a little better if all of us would just follow the Scout Motto "Do a Good Turn Daily."  Simply living by that motto and doing it unselfishly can change our lives for the better, bringing joy to us as we bring joy to others.  Silent, Secret, Acts of Service can change us and ultimately the world, in a way that probably nothing else really can.

Back in the "Happy Days" there was a song called  "Little Things Mean a Lot" .  The lyrics of this song give cause for reflection, gratitude, and self evaluation, and are just as true today as they were when they were originally penned and sung.

LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT
Blow me a kiss from across the roomSay I look nice when I'm notTouch my hair as you pass my chairLittle things mean a lotGive me your arm as we cross the streetCall me at six on the dotA line a day when you're far awayLittle things mean a lotDon't have to buy me diamonds or pearlsChampagne, sables, and suchI never cared much for diamonds and pearls'cause honestly, honey, they just cost moneyGive me a hand when I've lost the wayGive me your shoulder to cry onWhether the day is bright or grayGive me your heart to rely onSend me the warmth of a secret smileTo show me you haven't forgotFor now and forever, that's always and everHoney, little things mean a lot

No comments: