Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sights of Sunday, 20 May 2012

Across parts of the western United States a rare occurrence int the early evening sky took place.  It was an Annular Eclipse of the Sun, the first to be seen in the continental United States in more than twenty years.  The sky was mostly clear  so I thought I'd like to try my luck at a picture of this wonder in the heavens.  I found a spot on the bench in River Heights where the view of the Logan Temple and the soon to be setting sun lined up and went out to try my little experiment.  I knew what it would look like already because it has been all over the Internet for a week or so, but I wanted to see for myself.  Unfortunately I wasn't really well prepared and not wanting to follow quite in the footsteps of the great Galileo, I was cautious not to risk my eyesight for a momentary visual thrill.  We did make some pin holes in a piece of cardboard and were able to see the eclipse taking place at least to some degree by looking through these tiny holes at the bright sun.  I have long been amazed at the beauty and the power of the Sun, and have come to realize in pondering it's power and majesty an even greater power and majesty, The SON, even the Son of God.  How grateful I am for the Sun and the SON from whence light and life come.




These pictures show what I went to see.  The Annular Eclipse of the Sun, The Ring of Fire.

I could see it vauglely through our little pin hole viewers, but photographing something this bright proved nore difficult, at least with my amateur equipment.
Unforseen heavenly beauty.
These pictures are my best effort at capturing this special event.  The bottom photo shows the Logan Temple in the shadows of the Solar Eclipse at about 7:30 PM early Sunday evening.  It seemed like the sun was getting a false start in its nightly setting on the western horizon  The wonders of the Earth and sky never cease to amaze me and gratitude fills my heart and soul each day for the blessings of sight and things so beautiful to see.  The picture was not just what I had hoped for, but nonetheless very beautiful in my view.
The sky has been full of wonders  this month.  The full moon in May 2012  was a "Super Moon".  Here you see a picture of the Logan Temple whith the moon rising beside it into the night sky.  I waited up until nearly midnight for this photo. Beauty next to beauty.

2 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

Very pretty! I love the temple picture with the moon. I am glad you didn't risk your eyesight. It is a neat occurrence for sure.

Love you!

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

It was a great thing to watch, we didn't have the correct sunglasses either....so we tried the paper thing too. It was amazing.