Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Age of a Man -- Reflection on the Advancing Years



May 29th, 1940.  That was a long, long time ago.  At least it seems so to me at this point in my life.
Life has been an adventure, with many opportunities to learn and to do.  It has come with its share of challenges and sorrows, but also with many experiences over which to rejoice.  I've made my share of mistakes along the way, but for the most part I have learned from  them and have become a  better person.  As the years have gone by I have tried to lose myself in the service of others, of late this has been to those living and those who have already gone ahead.  Sometimes it seems to me that there is very little, if any difference.  There is still much to learn and much to be done and I am grateful that these processes never end.  I strive each day to be a disciple of the Lord and do what he wants me to do.  I know that I come up short more often than I should, but I also know that in conforming my will to his brings me the greatest joy.  This year I reached the ripe old age of 72.  I was reminded of the visit of the Savior to the Nephites in ancient American as recorded in 3 Nephi: 28:1-3.

1 And it came to pass when Jesus had said these words, he spake unto his disciples, one by one, saying unto them: What is it that yeadesire of me, after that I am gone to the Father?
2 And they all spake, save it were three, saying: We desire that after we have lived unto the age of man, that our ministry, wherein thou hast called us, may have an end, that we may speedily come unto thee in thy kingdom.
3 And he said unto them: Blessed are ye because ye desired this thing of me; therefore, after that ye are aseventy and two years old ye shall come unto me in my bkingdom; and with me ye shall find crest.
 I find my self in much the same frame of mind as they did.  They were given a promise that when they had lived unto the "age of a man" they would be taken into his kingdom where they would find rest.  Sometimes, I too feel like I am ready for this state of rest.  I have my share of the common aches and pains that come with the advancing years.  I also feel a sense of joy to know what I know and to see what I see, especially as it pertains to my children and their families, who are doing such a marvelous job of teaching their own children (my grandchildren) to do what is right and to make the most of life's experiences.  I appreciate their love for Iris and me as their parents and rejoice in the fact that we yet live and can enjoy so much of what they do from day to day.
     I know not how many years remain for me on this earth.  I have reached "the age of a man".  Each additional year I shall cherish as a bonus, a chance to make up for some of the mistakes I've made along the way.  I hope I can put my remaining days to good use, and especially that when the time comes for me to move on, I will not be looked upon as a detriment or a stumbling block in the lives of those I've come to know  and learned to love.   There is so much I would like to do and so many I'd like to help, if only I could or they would.   I am reminded of a line from the book/movie,
ARiver Runs Through It.

Reverend McClain:

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding."

This approaches the greatest of all virtues, Charity, the pure love of Christ. My desire is to develop this great attribute so that when my day of rest shall come it will not be said: "He lived and died in vain."

No comments: