Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Week in the Colorado Rockies

This past week I had the opportunity to go over to Colorado and spend the week at the Ben Delatour Scout Ranch near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado with Mason and Stephen and their troop of boy Scouts from Pueblo, Colorado, Troop 30.  It is a rather long ride from here to there, but the trip was certainly worth the effort.  I don't get to spend much time with Mason or Stephen since they moved to Colorado about five years ago, but I think of them often and am very proud of what they are doing.  Stephen has proven himself to be not only a great leader of boys but also of men.  He has made a considerable sacrifice during these years as has his family, but they have also been richly rewarded and have grown close to the Lord and each other.  The photo below demonstrates how lucky Mason is to have a father who cares and who is there for him .  Not every child is so fortunate.  I think of the words in the Primary song, Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way, when I look at his picture.  Mason, will not go far wrong if he walks beside his father, who has developed truly Christlike character in so many ways.

I've been around Scout Camps for a long time it seems.  Most of these experiences have been very positive.  This week with Mason in the Colorado Rockies has been no exception.  He is an eager scout and though he just turned 12 last week and was ordained a deacon, has more than thirty merit badges already.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to be able to go to scout camp every week with his dad.  Mason has always shown an interest in many things and will go far in life as he learns to focus on those thing of greatest worth.

Below, three generations of scouts standing before our home for a week at the Ben Delatour Scout Ranch.  Stephen and I slept in this tent while Mason and one of his buddies slept in one just like it across the way, while a bear grunted and moved around our tent nearly every night.  I got up one night to go to the bathroom and was trying to be very quiet so as not to wake Stephen.  He heard me though, sat up abruptly in bed and yelled as he threw a pillow at me, thinking I was a bear trying to get in his tent.

Thanks to Stephen and Mason for inviting me to come and including me in a very memorable week.

4 comments:

Jason said...

good thing Stephen didn't have his shotgun this time.

meegz said...

Love that picture of Stephen and mason walking down the trail -- that's one to frame. Glad you got to spend some quality time with both of them.:)

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

Agree with Meegz, glad you had the opportunity to spend quality time. It always is the case, that great memories and quality time are always worth the effort.

We are happy your travels were safe!

Alison Daugs said...

you're a GREAT grandpa and father!