Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Biking the Bear -- 50 at 70

I'm sure it was partly a sort of hopeful vanity that ispired this trip, but a good part of my motives were just to prove to myself, that I can still do some of the things I've done in the past and enjoy them.  It was a beautiful day to ride my bike around Bear Lake.  The Lake is beautiful as ever and though it took me some extra time, I was able to endure to the end.  I had forgotten to put my Grandpa's seat on the road bike and my rear end is mighty tender this morning. These things bikers call "saddles" are more like razor blades to me. Today, I have a few more aches and pains than normal, but I also have the satisfaction of doing something that many 70 year-olds wouldn't even think about.  I must admit however, that 70 miles at age 50 were a lot easier than 50 miles at age 70.  I shall keep on keeping on so long as I can.



Scene form the State Park on the East Shore taken on my Monday, June 21, 2010 bike ride.

7 comments:

Bart said...

That's my honey. He keeps goingand
going, he's like the pink eveready
bunny. He's always beena great
example of indurance and never say
"i can't" I sure love him and glad
he made it home safely, sore bum
and all.

Love Iris

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

Bart, "you'da man" seriously that is awesome. I don't think I could do it! And, some wonder where Jason and Jared get their biking bug.....

Apple is not falling far from the tree there.

Great example for all of us.

Alison Daugs said...

You are the toughest daddy I know. I knew you could do it as always, but I still worried about you. I know my bum would not make it. I have NO cushion.

Glad you are back safe. You are awesome!

meegz said...

holy hannah! Nice work Bart...remember, like you always tell us, keep it in moderation.:)

love you!
megan

Bart said...

At my age moderation is about as extreme as it gets.

Jason said...

Keep it up Pops. That's what I want to be doing when I'm 70. Life's to short to not go for a bike ride once in a while.
Besides, in all my years Ive not seen many people on a bike who weren't smiling.

Sam and Ryan said...

My Dad is my hero! You never cease to amaze!