Thursday, November 26, 2009

It's That Time of Year

On Wednsesday Ryan came over and we went up in the mountains to search out that perfect Christmas tree.  It is a tradition that I have enjoyed since I was a child and would sometimes go with my own father to get a tree for the holiday season.  This year the snow was not as deep as usual, so it was a little easier.  I remember going once with my Dad when the snow was about three feet deep.  We went on the farm tractor and ended up getting stuck and spending the whole day before we finally found the tree we were looking for.   Now we will decorate it and try to keep it fresh.  When we lived in Bear Lake we had a wood stove(which we really miss) and kept the family room quite warm.  It was not an uncommon thing to see a couple of inches of new growth on the branches of the tree after about a month when we decided to take it out.  The tree brought a festive spirit into our home and many smiles to the faces of our children as they wrapped the presents and anticipated what was in them.  Somehow, I just prefer the real tree.  I guess it is just the traditions of my own childhood, but it's also the fresh air and the snow when we get it and then the fresh smell pine while it is in place after being decoarted and strung with hundreds of lights.  We've made things a little simpler since moving to Logan.  We always enjoy this season, especially the beautiful Christmas songs and carols, which remind us of Jesus and his birth.


We hope that all of you find joy in this special season as we reflect upon the real reason for the celebration.

Happy Holidays,

Love you all and always,

Grandpa Bart

3 comments:

Alison Daugs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison Daugs said...

That is one of the many things that I wish I had.... time doing "guy" things with you. You are sooo lucky to have the boys that you can do these things with. I feel left out. I better search for that special something that I could be involved with. I am glad you and Ryan are able to get together and enjoy each others company. You will always remember those times.

Love you!
Stay warm...

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

Looks like you and Ry got some beautiful trees! LOVE the holiday season.