Saturday, August 8, 2009

8 Minutes and 8 Hours and lots of Gratitude

It took me about eight minutes to pick all of this from our garden. It's more than we could use all at once, so I took most of it to the Food Bank where I was met by about a hundred people who were anxious to share in our bounties, and I was glad have something to give. I knew we would never be able to use it all when I planted, but I'm very glad that will not go to waste. There are many needy people out there.

It took a little longer to gather these huckleberries (eight hours to be exact). They were not all ripe and the berries were a little smaller than sometimes, but they are just as tasty and this small harvest will translate into about twenty delicious pies/desserts to be used gratefully over the coming months and there's more where they came from if anybody has the perseverance to pick them. The Lord does provide and I am grateful for all that we receive each day and each year. I am reminded again and again than it doesn't all just happen. You could shake "matter" around in a sack for a trillion years and not one single berry or squash would ever be the result. Give thanks!!!!

2 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

I hope your huckleberries will be safe in our freezer. It has been known to have a little critter visit it from time to time looking for something sweet, precious and rare. I will do my best to defend the treasure!

Bart said...

Eat whatever makes you happy. I picked them to make people happy and for a little solitude in the woods.

Love you all and always.